Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users
Posted by Ivo Hirt on October 26, 2000 at 11:09:40:
In Reply to: Re: Performance trouble posted by Tommie Mademark on October 26, 2000 at 09:23:49:
: : I had the same problem until yesterday.
: : The time for checking out approx. 4000 files into an empty
: : workspace increased from 8 minutes to more than 35 minutes!
: : I tried to apply the MS Access tuning scripts, but CopyIndexes
: : always returned an error ('Index or primary key cannot contain
: : a Null value'). I used the MS Access client to inspect the DB.
: : The table 'Files_Status_info' contained an empty record.
: : After having deleted manually this empty record, I was able
: : to run the tuning scripts and the performance problem disappeared.
: : BTW: Running the repair tools did not fix the problem with the empty
: : record!
: : The following points may also increase the performance:
: : - Increase the Buffer Size in the ODBC manager to 8192 KB
: : - Purge old Audit entries if Audit is enabled
: : - Run the MS Access tuning scripts
: : - Compact the DB
: : - Install the newest Java VM (comes with Internet Explorer 5.5)
: : - Install the newest Service Pack
: Dear Ivo,
: Even if I understand the situation you might be faced with if the StarTeam database becomes corrupt, I strongly advice against manually making any changes to the StarTeam database. Thankfully, I have never myself ended up with a corrupt database, but it has happened a few times at customer sites and it was always due to a hardware crash, never due to a StarTeam failure.
The CopyIndex utility, the Compact utility as well as the Repair utility all works fine. I verified this yesterday on a Windows 2000 server using StarTeam 4.2.685 as well as 4.2.699. The only reason these tools might not work is if the database has been manually altered or corrupted due to a system crash. If the latter, please restore from your backup and do not alter tables manually.
As I mentioned before, the Repair utility was not able to correct the problem, otherwise I wouldn't have done it manually!
The problem with the database was due to a network failure or power loss.
Post a Followup