Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: New file merging?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Greg on May 21, 2003 at 17:50:16:

In Reply to: New file merging? posted by Michael Lennon on May 02, 2003 at 03:29:38:

: I am just trying to work out some of the functionality of StarTeam at this point in time, and I've just come across a slight problem.

: First of all I set up a new view that branches off the main view. If I add a file to this new view, how can I "merge" it back to the main view? When I share it it seems to create a copy of itself in the view and any changes I make to either of the files are applied to both. Am I doing something wrong??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

: Michael Lennon

Actually, this is kind of easy, we have the same "nested" views at our company here.

First thing you have to realize, is that that "copy" you made, is actually just a "share". Think of it in a similar way as a Windows Shortcut Icon pointing to an Executable.

In our company, we keep all our "real files" (ie no shares) on the mainline view (the Root View). And all the files on the branched views are just shares.

If you select the Share, right click on the file (er, share), and select: "Advanced -> Behavior"

Switch to the "Configuration" tab and click on the option: "Revision as of: xxx"
The date defaults to the current time, you can change it if you want, but you don't need to.

What that does, is eseentially "Breaks" the share. It stops "copying" the changes made to the other one.

In our environment, as I said, we keep all our
"Real files" on the root view, and the shares on the child views. We break all the shares almost immediately upon creation, and set this option on.

To "Move" the file to the root, just hold Shift down when you normally drag it over to the root view.

Hope this helps!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]