Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Deleting Revisions and Branching

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Walt Stoneburner on March 01, 2001 at 17:31:16:

In Reply to: Re: Deleting Revisions and Branching posted by Ray Gosselin on March 01, 2001 at 12:32:44:

Ray,

I did a little playing around, and have come to this conclusion: there appears to be a root view with two views under it (let's call them deployment and development) and it acts as a staging area. For whatever reason, some files are shared between the two, some have deleted files, and some have branches; this happened when someone tried re-organizing the layout. I just don't get what that references tab is trying to tell me -- but it appears if someone checks out of the root branch, it would inadvertantly end up trying to put both branches to the same physical place on the disk (and hence the merge). What I want to do is untangle the logical knot and get back to the lowest common denominator of branched revisions. Too many people have been fiddling.

As for backing out a revision, there are cases where forced check-ins happened without reason, or someone just royally screwed up and caught themself microseconds after commiting. Mistakes happen. Right now, there's no labels and no knowledge, and wanting to SCM history to reflect the reality of the project, rather than the chronological reality of the course of human mistakes -- we were hoping to roll out the bogus revision(s) the same way every other package on the planet does.

At the risk of starting a public religious war in this forum, part of the process is knowing when it's acceptable to break the rules for the better good. :)

Thanks for the feedback,
-wls

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]