Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Deleting Revisions and Branching

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Ray Gosselin on March 01, 2001 at 12:32:44:

In Reply to: Deleting Revisions and Branching posted by Walt Stoneburner on February 28, 2001 at 16:42:20:

: I've just join a company with a fairly large StarTeam project already in progress... coming from a PVCS/rcs/SourceSafe world, I have two [simple] questions that I can't seem to resolve, even with administrative rights and having read the manuals.

: 1) Someone did a check-in of a revision to the tip, and we'd like to rollback. I'm not interested in a solution of checking out N-1 and checking it back in as the tip. I expected to find a "delete revision" under the pop-up menu on the history tab. What am I missing?

: 2) We have a project that when we go to check it out, it says we need to merge. I've tried poking around to see the real version numbers under the hood, eg. 1.0.1.2 but can't seem to get a mental picture of where each branch lives. What's the StarTeam way of getting "the big picture" of a file's branched history so I can do a merge?

: -wls

Walt,

Your question #2 is a good one. We have the same question. You can see a bit more info about a specific file's branches and where they live by selecting the file in the file pane and selecting the Reference tab down below. The rather cryptic information is enough to see which branches of the file exist in which views. The StarTeam documentation contains a section on how to decipher this info. I hope this helps.

I'm not certain about your question #1, but I believe that you will never find the ability to delete a revision of a file in StarTeam. The issue could be argued both ways, but in the end, deleting a revision violates the principles of configuration control. Like I said, I could be wrong, but I think your only option is to check rev. N-1 in as rev. N+1.

-Ray

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]