Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: SQL Server

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Tommie Mademark on January 25, 2001 at 14:48:00:

In Reply to: Re: SQL Server posted by Trisha on January 18, 2001 at 10:24:28:

: : : I recently migrated to SQL server from MS Access. The memory utilization with Access seems to be rather high (120 MB) and even higher sometimes. Is this normal? Anything we can do about it.

: : : thanks
: : : Trisha

: : Hi Trisha,

: : You say ?I recently migrated to SQL server from MS Access. The memory utilization with Access seems to be rather high (120 MB) and even higher sometimes.? I assume that the memory usage you refer to is with SQL Server and not Access.

: : Questions:

: : 1. Are you running SQL Server on the same machine as the StarTeam server?
: : 2. If yes on question 1, is this a single processor machine?

: : If ?yes? on both 1 and 2, then yes, memory usage can be very high and you will have a slow StarTeam server. Running SQL Server (or any DBMS) and the StarTeam server on the same, single processor server is not recommended! Please see my postings http://www.fox.se/wwwboard/messages/257.html and http://www.fox.se/wwwboard/messages/271.html for more information.

: : Rgds,

: : Tommie

: Hi Tommie,

: SQL server and StarTEam server are currently on the same machine. But I am on a Dual processor machine.

: 1. Yes
: 2. No (Dual Processor).

: regards
: Trisha

Hi Trisha,

The only time I have noticed the memory usage for the StarTeam VTS process reach the levels of memory usage you are experiencing, is when working from the command line checking out 5000-10000 files in one command on a single processor machine with MS SQL Server 7 on the same server as the StarTeam VTS.

Which version of StarTeam are you using? (Latest version is 4.2.699)

Which version of MS SQL Server are you using? If version 7 of MS SQL Server, did you install the latest SP (which is SP 3 I believe)?

Which version of Windows NT Server are you using?

Which Service Pack is installed on your Windows NT Server?

Which version of MDAC is installed on your Windows NT Server? (MDAC prior to June 1999 has a massive memory leak!)

How much memory does your server have? (If the server has little memory and the SQL Server process grabs it all, you will have a context-switching problem where StarTeam and SQL Server compete for resources. This will result in excessive memory usage by StarTeam as it waits to complete a database query.

If you are using MS SQL Server 7 or 2000, leave the default settings as they are! I have tested various settings such as locking a large amount of memory for SQL Server, or setting the minimum memory higher, but it will not increase performance, only waste memory. The same is true for the number of threads and boosting the SQL Server process. Both MS SQL Server 7 and 2000 are self-adaptive and will tune themselves.

Rgds,

Tommie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]