Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Archive a project...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Tommie Mademark on November 09, 2000 at 05:41:42:

In Reply to: Archive a project... posted by Sandy on November 08, 2000 at 13:22:37:

: I have a few projects in my StarTeam server. I was wondering if there is a way to ?archive? a project with its history to Disk or to a CD or Tape so that I can remove it from the StarTeam server and possibly restore it in the future if I need to.

: I know that I could do a full check-out, archive it and then delete it from StarTeam, but I would lose the history by doing so.

Sandy,

If the reason for archiving your project were that you are running out of disk space, I would buy more disks, as disk drives are very cheap today. However, if the reason is that you do not want your archived projects to appear in your StarTeam clients ?Open Project Wizard?, you can simply impose an access setting allowing only a user such as ?Archive Manager? (which you give administrators rights) to access the project. This way, your ?archived? projects will be invisible to all others but the Archive Manager.

As your ?archived projects? will use database space, you should run the index tuning scripts as a maintenance task on a weekly basis. This will improve speed. If you are currently using the Access database (Jet engine) for your repository, consider migrating to SQL Server or another supported DBMS. My tests shows, that the performance increase using SQL Server as opposed to the Jet engine, is significant. SQL Server is 2.4 times faster than having the StarTeam repository on the Jet engine! (My test bed was SQL Server running on a dual processor server with 512 MB RAM.) If you are using SQL Server or another supported DBMS already, make sure your server has two processors or put the DBMS on another server than the StarTeam Server.

/Tommie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]