Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Win2000/VTS: Error starting VTS when logged in as non-admin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Tommie Mademark on October 30, 2000 at 14:54:59:

In Reply to: Win2000/VTS: Error starting VTS when logged in as non-admin posted by Kjell Rilbe on October 28, 2000 at 11:07:13:

: I just installed Win2000 and StarTeam Build 4.2.699. I copied the config files from my old 4.2.685 installation under Win98.
: To keep my OS & Program tree clean of files requiring regular backup I moved the config files to a separate folder and updated the windows registry key for config file location to point to that folder.
: The datasources were also setup and verified. I tested all configurations - started VTS for each one, and closed them again.
: All this was done when being logged in as Administrator.

: Then I logged in as me, my user account. I tried to start VTS with one of the configurations. But now I get an error!
: The error messgae I got was "Nyckelupps?tningen finns inte" ("The key set does not exist"?)
: I hit "OK" in the error dialog and tried again. Now I got another error dialog:

: Dialog caption: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"
: Dialog text:
: --------------------
: Runtime Error!

: Program: ...\StarBase\StarTeam VirtualTeam Server\StarTeamServer.exe

: R6025
: - pure virtual function call
: --------------------

: When I hit "OK" in this error dialog, the VTS window vanishes (the program dies).

: I tried this several times. I tried ODBC logging because the first message sounds like a DB error, but the errors occur before anything is written in the ODBC log.

: Can anyone help me solve this?

: Thanks!
: Kjell Rilbe

Hej Kjell,

In Win2K, only local administrators have permissions to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Installing and running both the StarTeam client and server require access to this key. Users using StarTeam on Win 2K need to be local administrators on their machines.

The client will update the registry during installation and access/read the registry when running the client. Win2K will not allow either unless you are an Admin on the box. Microsoft changed this in Win2K.

/Tommie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]