Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Access Server or MS SQL Server?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Tommie Mademark on October 26, 2000 at 09:27:36:

In Reply to: Re: Access Server or MS SQL Server? posted by Raymond Kiang on October 23, 2000 at 13:41:25:

: Thanks, Tommie, for your suggestion on the hardware configurations. So if I read it correctly, you are suggesting us to use SQL server instead of Access server, which should boost the performance of StarTeam, right? If we decide to use SQL server, does it in any way hinder the operations of StarTeam, as StarTeam seems to be orginally designed to use Access server in the first place.

Yes Raymond, SQL Server is faster than Access provided that you do not run the StarTeam server and SQL Server on a single processor server!

I just did some comparisons between using Access as the database management system and SQL Server 2000 and I was a bit surprised at the results. As Access is a very simple DBMS, I assumed that StarTeam would perform better using Access as the repository DBMS. I was wrong! I found that using SQL Server 2000 instead of Access, the exact same configuration ran 2.4 times faster!

My test bed with StarTeam VTS 4.2.699:

2 x Pentium Xeon 550 MHZ processors
512 MB RAM
RAID 0+1 (2x3 disks) as one logical disk on a controller with 64 MB RAM
Windows 2000 with SP1
(The above system has been designed and built as a complete and StarTeam VTS tuned solution.)

I created a test project with 5632 files, all in one folder, which is normally something you should avoid as the StarTeam VTS slows down exponentially with the number of files in a single folder. The total size of all the files in the folder was 128 MB, but I left the cache at 100 MB. The Access database size was 5.92 MB and the SQL Server equivalent was 16.94 MB.

Using Access as the repository DBMS, it took 15 minutes and 59 seconds to check out all 5632 files to the working folder.

Using SQL Server as the repository DBMS, it took 6 minutes and 38 seconds to check out all 5632 files to the working folder, which is 2.4 times faster than the Access equivalent.

/Tommie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]