Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Performance trouble

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Michael Sly on October 25, 2000 at 15:21:26:

In Reply to: Performance trouble posted by Kjell-Olov H?dahl on October 23, 2000 at 11:06:57:

A few questions first:

1. How big is the vault?
2. How big is the database?
3. What is your environment consist of? (i.e. operating system on the server(s), server configuration (mem, hd, etc.).
4. What is the speed of your network (10/100)?

These are just a number of issues that can cause StarTeam to perform slowly. My configuration is as follows (2 servers (1 for ST andother for the DB - supports 200+ developers):

1. StarTeam Server
Dual 550mhz Pentium III
1 Gig of memory
54 Gig of HD (RAID 5)
100M Ethernet - switched

2. StarTeam DB Server
Dual 550mhz Pentium III
1 Gig Memory
36 Gig of HD (RAID 5)
100M Ethernet - switched
MS SQL Server v7.0

Both servers are running Windows 2000 SP1.

I would certainly try eliminating the Access database. If you can switch over to MS SQL 7, you should notice a big difference. Also, let me know what your configuration is and I can also suggest a few other improvements as well.

: We have been running StarTeam (currently version 4.2) in a number of projects using an Access database.

: About ten users log in everyday and there are about ten projects with a history of about two years in the database.

: Lately, StarTeam has started to perform sluggishly. What may be the problem?
: Should we convert the database to SQL Server? Are we using the wrong form of diff-storage scheme (use of forward or backward diff storage)? What else may we suspect?

: Please answer with a list of known performance-boost actions we may consider and investigate.

: Sincerely
: /Kjell-Olov H?dahl (?-Systemdesign AB, Sweden)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]