Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Re: Star Team - VSS Synching

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Mahesh Badimi on August 29, 2000 at 00:45:20:

In Reply to: Re: Star Team - VSS Synching posted by Tommie Mademark on August 27, 2000 at 14:11:11:

: : I have a small problem at hand. It was fine working with Star Team till we had just one development centre in US. We have recently expanded our operations to Bangalore. We now have development happening at Boston and also in Bangalore. Our Star Team server is
: : in Boston and developers in Bangalore connect to that to work from bangalore. Due to poor connectivity in India we thought we should not download the stuff everyday and have decided to have a server in
: : Bangalore too. But the problem is that I am told that we cannot have Star Team server in Bangalore for 4-5 months(Cost reasons I guess). Given this we have decided to use Visual Source Safe in Bangalore and
: : continue with Star Team in Boston. Now the challenge is in synching up both the servers. I want the Star Team Server get updated with the modifications of Visual source Safe in the evening Indian time
: : and update the Visual Source Safe with the modifications made in Star Team in the evening Boston time. Please advise me how I go about achieving this.

: : Thanks in Advance,
: : Mahesh.

: Dear Mahesh,

: Unfortunately there is no mechanism available to synchronize VSS and StarTeam repositories. Having a StarTeam server in Bangalore would not work either, as there is no replication service between two StarTeam servers.

: As StarTeam was designed to be able to use slow connections, checking out files over dial-up lines (or otherwise slow connections), should in most cases not be a problem. As an example, a company here n Sweden has 7 users connected to a server in Raleigh, South Carolina, USA using 28 kBPS modem lines which works great.

: You need to select the ?Optimize for Slow Connections? check box in your client so that the StarTeam Virtual-Team Server will send the difference between the currently checked-out revision (in your working folder) and the revision being checked out from the server. This will speed up the data transfer significantly.

: 1. Connect to the project on your server.
: 2. On the menu, select ?Tools | Workstation options?? and click the ?File? tab.
: 3. Under ?Check-out options?, select the ?Optimize for Slow Connections? check box.

: Tommie

Dear Tommie,
Thanks a tonne for such prompt response.
You were saying that there is no mechanism to synchronize the Star Team and VSS repositories but the following information from the Star Team Help says that synching is possible from VSS to Star Team.

"StarTeam uses the refresh feature instead of the event hook mechanism in VSS because the event hook mechanism can cause StarTeam?s repository to be out of sync with the VSS. One of the reasons for this is that VSS does not generate events from the VSS command line."

Pl. shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Mahesh.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Star Team - VSS Synching

Your comment (at the end please!):

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]