Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users

Re: Do I need to backup Vault\Cache folders?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]

Posted by Tommie Mademark on August 23, 2000 at 10:33:02:

In Reply to: Do I need to backup Vault\Cache folders? posted by Kjell Rilbe on August 23, 2000 at 10:11:36:

: When reviewing my backup options I noticed there is a Chache folder under the vault folder of my StarTeam repositories. There are a lot of files and subfolders there, and I was wondering if it would be safe *not* to include these in my backup copies. Does anybody know?

: Thanks,
: Kjell

Hi Kjell,

You can omit the Cache directory, but I strongly advice you to include it. Should for any reason your backup have a corrupted Vault but the Cache is fine, you can recreate your system using StarTeam?s Repository Tools and your backup with the Cache files

From Appendix D:
"Using Repository Tools" in the Administrators Manual:

?If the tip revision is missing from the vault but can be located in the cache, Repository Tools uses the cache file to recreate the tip revision in the vault.?

From Appendix D:
"Using Repository Tools" in the Administrators Manual

Verifying Tip Revision Information
When you verify a server configuration?s files, Repository Tools checks:

? Is the tip revision of a StarTeam file in the vault?

? Do the database and vault have the same number for the tip revision of the StarTeam file?

? Is the MD5 value for the tip revision the same in both the database and the vault?

? Is every cache file identifiable?

If the answer to any of these questions is no, you can ask Repository Tools to attempt to repair the problem.

? If the tip revision is missing from the vault but can be located in the cache, Repository Tools uses the cache file to recreate the tip revision in the vault.

? If the database has fewer revisions than the vault, then the vault and cache files for this StarTeam file are backed up. The vault?s excess revisions are dropped until the database and the vault have the same number.

Regards,

Tommie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Do I need to backup Vault\Cache folders?

Your comment (at the end please!):

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum for StarTeam Users]